Monday, March 13, 2006

A is for...

Amarillo

Amarillo (again)

Yes, I've done it once before, but decided I didn't do it as well as I would have liked... so - Take Two:

Amarillo, Texas - my hometown.

Population: 182,462 (and steadily growing)

With a city slogan of ... Amarillo, a great place to live

Okay, so it's a little corny, but it truly is a nice place to be. A good sized city with a small town feel. A very eclectic town, that's for sure. From cowboys (the real ones and drugstore) to the elite and goth and everything in between, this place has it all. Over this coming year, following the ABC Along, you'll learn quite a bit about this town I call home.

The summers are hot and the winters cold, autumn is brisk and spring wet (well, sorta). March/April and May are littered with great thunderstorms and tornadoes. June/July/August and into September are HOT - frequently reaching temperatures above 100*. There is virtually no humidity here and the wind never stops blowing... ya know that blast of heat you feel when you open a hot oven? Yeah, it's like that. The autumn is great with a show of color on minimal trees (the Texas Panhandle is, well... flat) and the constant breeze turns cool. In the winter - snow. Yes, it's snows in Texas. Not usually all winter, but for a few weeks, we usually get dumped on pretty good.

My kiddos love it here. There are lots of things for them to participate in and their entire family ('cept aunt sissy and auntie sherry) are here. Family functions are frequent and they have a huge cheering section at all their soccer/karate/school and every other activities.

Image hosting by Photobucket

A is also for Astronaut. Amarillo's International Airport was renamed in rememberence of Rick Husband, an Astronaut who was from here. Rick Husband was the captain of the Space Shuttle Columbia. All 7 of her crew perished upon re-entry on Feb 1, 2003


Rick Husband

Amarillo College - Change your tomorrow, Enroll today!

I hope I have intrigued you and that you've enjoyed this little bit. Remember, I have the rest of the alphabet to go ... all about Amarillo.


Amarillo

9 comments:

Lulu said...

looks like a beautiful place..

Marina Albertoni said...

Congratulations!
You're inveted to visit my blog.
Take care.
Bye

LadyLinoleum said...

I've never been to Amarillo, but you've intrigued me with your Tejas prose, so may have to come out your way and visit!

Karla said...

Hey, Rebecca! I see "Wild at Heart" is on your reading list. First of all, shouldn't that be on your HUBBY's reading list? ;-) Have you read "Captivating" also by the same author and his wife? I'm presently reading that (supposed to, anyway) and some ladies from our church discuss the book every other week. I want to get Wild at Heart, too. How do you like it?

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becky said...

Hi Rebecca. I visit Amarillo quite a bit on business - in fact, I will be there next week. Any yarn stores or other knitting places worth visiting if I have time?

me! said...

Hi! Perhaps you should be pitching this to the Amarillo Vistors Bureau....
:)
Auntie Sherry

Lucy said...

You know, if everyone looked at there City, really looked at it, they would probably find all sorts of great thing as you have. Very nice pics!!!

Kellycat said...

Looks very nice! I'm glad that I stopped by to see what you were up to. When I glanced along the side bar, I cracked up at your scale. That is exactly what mine is at... lol

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.